How to cater to learners of different temperaments?
Every human being has a different kind of learning curve.
Ancient scholar Hippocrates defined the various kinds of learners as phlegmatic, choleric, sanguine and melancholic.
These were the different kinds of temperaments human beings have according to him. These kinds of temperaments result from the presence of various bodily fluids inside us.
However, there is another school of thought. It says that our emotions and dreams define our temperament.
Those with this kind of temperament like challenges. Even if new challenges have some kind of risk, they are likely to take them. They also have a charismatic personality. They are the kind of learners that can also motivate their teammates. Sanguine learners don’t want to be bored. For them, online training must not be monotonous.
How should online training be created for sanguine learners?
- Sanguine learners require online training because textbook training is not for them. They should be given different resources so that they can choose from them accordingly.
- The sanguine learners are likely to become hosts quite often. For this purpose, there should be online training activities that require them to head an event like the leader of a project on which a group is collaborating.
- The sanguine learners should be given the chances to take risks. So, their learning material should involve simulations etc. When they have simulations before them, they can easily learn without committing mistakes in the workplace.
Phlegmatic is easy-going learners. They make sure that there is peace in their team members. They don’t like to pick up fights on arguments.
These are the learning tips for phlegmatic learners
- Phlegmatic learners use their thinking skills to solve a problem. There should be collaboration projects in a group that make sure that they work with their teammates to solve problems.
- Although these kinds of people, don’t express their emotions, they should be given training activities that allow them to interact with others.
- These kinds of learners always spend a lot of time thinking about the topic in question. They are introverts.
- They accept the status as it is and don’t like to take risks.
How to create online courses for such learners
- The courses should be very direct to them. They should be easily able to go through the training course. Since they are very attentive, the course should be designed carefully for them. So, you should take care of the most minute things in a course such as a text and an image.
- These learners like to learn alone. But you should create for them a group learning activity so that they are not left isolated.
- Since they like to learn alone, they should not be pressurised to lead the social events. Instead, online discussions are valid activities for them.
Choleric learners rely on themselves. They are goal-oriented and independent. They take every opportunity to become a leader. They are also very logical thinkers. They don’t want social settings but instead are happy with colleagues who think alike.
Tips for these kinds of learners
- These kinds of learners don’t like public forums. Its because they don’t like to talk lightly, but like substantial talks.
- Also, these learners should be given simulations so that they acquire practical knowledge. They should even be taught about the advantages of doing things in the real world.
- Since this type is goal-oriented, make sure that they can collapse their goals into specific milestones. The structure of the course is very important for these kinds of learners.
Your learners are a mix of these types of temperaments. Therefore, you should create learning material catering to these 4 types.